Possibly moving... opinions wanted

OK OK so this isn't set in stone yet, nor has the offer been made but I would love to here different opinions on this (Jennifer, I know yours) LOL. So, after much consideration my husband quit his job a couple of weeks back to go into another line of work, now he has been in the transmission industry for well over 9 years now so this is what he knows(like the back of his hand). Anyway he is now in his new position and and having to learn to love the office environment ( he used to be southeast sales so needless to say he was on the road ALOT!) it is taking some getting used to on his part. Well he gets a call in the last week or so from his old companies competitor asking him alot of questions and wanting to know if they could meet with him to possible offer him a HUGE position and double his salary to move to (drum roll).................ALABAMA!!!! Now let me just tell you this is a once in a life time opportunity for him and needless to say I would go if and when he is offered the position. I do not want to be the reason later in life that he didn't take this position. I stand behind my husband 100% and say go for it, good job. Now on the other hand I have 2 young girls and my family (mom, dad, sister, brothers and nieces) are all in NC. So of course this puts a bit of a bind in this situation.. Both my brothers and my sister say GO because if it was one of us we would be long gone... although we will miss you!! Some of my friends also say go and yes they will miss me! On the other hand my mother is FLIPPING OUT, making herself sick over this even though when we were all younger she did the same thing moved us from Pennsylvania to NC for no good reason though. My question is, if put in this same situation would you go? or would you stay? Rob will be flying to AL next Friday to interview and I will keep you all posted!! until next time.....

Comments

The Presnell's said…
I say go for it. If it's double the salary and you find a nice place to live, then that would be great. It's not fun to leave friends and family though, I mean I'm close to the Burlington side (I live in GSO) and we are 45 minutes away from our friends in WS and almost an hour away from family in King, so I miss being so far away and with the way gas prices are, we don't visit them often, being only 1 hour away. So, I say take a chance. You might love it!! :)
Jennifer said…
You know I would miss you so I am bias, but I want you to do what would make you happy, and you can always move back heehee. I support your decision 100% b/c I know you and the mother you are and I know you will do what is right :)
TS said…
I know the salary is double, but what is the cost of living difference between AL and NC? NC has a lower cost of living rate.

If that all looks good then I would say go for it. I would do the same thing if my husband had an offer like that.

Your girls are still young enough to move schools and friends and not really affect them too much.

I also live an hour away from my family. It is tough at first, but you learn to adjust.

Good luck and let us know what happens.
Unknown said…
Well I have looked at the cost of living here and in Florence, AL and actually Florence, AL cost of living is 18% lower than it is here.. Believe me I am a researcher and I will find out everything good and bad before I make my final decision. I check greatschools.net to see about what areas have the best schools and everything. So I think if this does go through I will be well prepared!! Thanks for all the comments.. I will keep everyone updated!!
Anna Morrison said…
I say follow your man. Nothing feels better to a man than for his girl to be behind him all the way, helping him to be his best. Respecting and loving him in this way is what marriage is all about.

Whatever you both decide, do it well . . . no regrets.

Much Love . . .
Jen said…
Go for it!! I can imagine it would be so difficult but I am with Anna follow your man. It can be a wonderful experience for your family. Your friend and family in North Carolina are unconditional. Just think of the new bonds that can be made! When I was 13 years old we moved to Georgia. It was hard at first but to this day I love to visit and have a couple of lifelong friendships!

Popular posts from this blog